About Me

My photo
Stockport, United Kingdom
Angela Cater is a writer, illustrator and self-publisher. Her books are published by Tabby Cat Press. She is the writer/illustrator of "The Adventures of Sailor Sam" and "A Perfect Nest for Mrs Mallard."

Monday 28 December 2009

Interview with Lorna Foot, illustrator for 'Gone Indy'

Lorna Foot is the illustrator behind the 'Gone Indy' brand of children's books, written by Marc Archambault.

How did your working relationship with Marc Archambault first come about?
I met Marc at our Kung Fu school and every once in a while we would work together and talk. One day, he aske me to draw a mural for his youngest daughter's bedroom when he found out that I was an artist. It wasn't until recently that I found out he writes children's stories. He asked me if I wanted to illustrate them and I said sure.
What was the first book you ever illustrated? How did you go about it?
Our first book that I illustrated is called Hal the Unwashed Dragon. I chose to do this book first because my speciality is dragons and I figured it would be a good start. I drew the pictures onto paper. When I was satisfied, I would go over then with ink, scan them onto my computer and then colour them in Photoshop.
Is there a web address where we can view some of your work?
Sure, there are a few actually - http://cartoon-dragon.deviantart.com/gallery/ - this is my cartoon strip, and http://dragonartist101.deviantart.com - this is my miscellaneous works. I also have a new portfolio page at http://dragonartist.carbonmade.com
Have you completed formal art studies, or are you self-taught?
I'm practically self taught. I've been drawing ever since I could hold a pencil, but with some guidance from school I've been able to try new techniques that I would never have done by myself. So say 90% self-taught.
Which past or present day illustrators do you admire most?
Honestly, I don't have a particular illustrator that I admire. In fact, I admire all of them.
How similar are your current drawings to those you did as a child?
Not similar at all. I've kept all my old sketchbooks and my drawins have evolved so much. Since I draw dragons the most, I can draw wings better, scales, body structure etc. I'm more detailed, loose and sketchy now.
What is hardest to draw?
People, machinery, vehicles. People are hard just because I've never bothered to try drawing them, but now I'm working on it. And vehicles, houses and machinery, for some reason they just don't flow.
What part of your work do you do on paper and what part digitally?
I usually do the basic outline and minor detail on paper and then I would finish the detail, colouring and background digitally. But usually, it depends on what I'm doing. Sometimes it's 100% paper and vice versa.
What research do you do for your illustrations?
I find reference pictures on the internet or I will look into some how to draw books to pick up some techniques. I'm using books right now to help me draw people.
Do you have any specific goals as an illustrator?
I plan on sticking with Gone Indy, and when I start getting into the flow of things and getting much better, then I'll start looking for additional authors in need of an illustrator, but I will stick with Marc.
What are you working on now?
I'm already working on our next book. It is called "Mommy is too tired to play"
What advice do you have for someone who likes to draw and would like to make a living from it?
Be yourself, don't try to be the next Vincent Van Gogh. Your art is your own and is unique, be proud of it. Make sure you listen to constructive criticism and practice a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment