About Me

My photo
Stockport, United Kingdom
Angela Cater is a writer, illustrator and self-publisher. Her books are published by Tabby Cat Press. She is the writer/illustrator of "The Adventures of Sailor Sam" and "A Perfect Nest for Mrs Mallard."

Wednesday 25 November 2009

Interview with Lynn Taylor, author of "The Adventures of Miss Mousey"



Left: Lynn Taylor at the book launch of her first children's book, "The Adventures of Miss Mousey



What kind of books did you first read when you were a child?

I'm not sure what I first read but I devoured most things by Enid Blyton, and then Richard Crompton. I enjoyed fairy stories by a myriad of authors.


What is required for a character to be believable? How do you create yours? What was the inspiration behind Miss Mousey?

The reader needs to be able to react to a character either positively or negatively (if they are a baddie) and to be able to live the experience with them. Each character needs to have their own personality and to be consistent and coherent. I create my characters through a process of osmosis. I get a feel for them; a voice; a personality and develop the main feature of that personality.

My inspiration from Miss Mousey came from a stuffed toy that we bought at our annual charity do. Somehow she developed into a bossy mouse with attitude who speaks regularly.


What do you think are the basic ingredients for a story?

A good plot; good development; coherence; action; fun; a full range of emotions as necessary to the plot; an outcome; the full involvement of characters.


Does reader feedback help you?

Reader feedback is essential but can also be scary. You have to be prepared for it to be negative and it can sometimes be upsetting.


What do you surround yourself with in your work area in order to concentrate?

I need peace and quiet to write; a table; pen; notepad; space and tidiness.


Do you frequent any sites online to share experiences or inspiration?

I don't frequent online sites as I am not very computer literate.


How did you go about find all those things necessary for pulling 'Miss Mousey' together, such as an illustrator, publisher and recording studio?

Through a group, I advertised for an illustrator. I visited several people but it came to nothing. I had just about decided to abandon the whole thing when a friend I had not seen for three years contacted me and put me in touch with an illustrator and a sound recording artist. I was also lucky to be offered help on the publishing side from Angela Cater who I met through my walking group.


What are you working on now?

At the moment I am working on "The Further Adventures of Miss Mousey" and a book for younger readers, "Gary Greylag the Goose".


Which well-known writers do you admire the most?

I admire Phillip Pullman, G P Taylor, James Paterson, Ian Rankin. There isn't really a 'must' as I love so many of today's writers.


"The Adventures of Miss Mousey" is published by Tabby Cat Press and available from most online bookstores. ISBN: 978-09555725-4-8

No comments:

Post a Comment